TeleMed2U Patient Experience
At TeleMed2U we believe that our interface between providers, patients, and technology offers the solution to meeting the increasing healthcare needs of an ever-changing world.
Two Models of Telemedicine Service Delivery
At TeleMed2U, our medical specialists work within the healthcare system. They work work in tandem with your primary care physicians or hospitalists to ensure that each case is managed effectively. We believe that by working in the current healthcare infrastructure, TeleMed2U specialists can offer our patients the best standard of care delivery.
- Outpatient model. This method follows a traditional care path in which a primary care physician refers a patient for specialty care. A room in the primary care provider’s office or clinic is set up for the patient to conduct an appointment with an appropriate TeleMed2U medical specialist through use of real-time, interactive, audio-visual teleconferencing technology, known as telemedicine. This service delivery method is ideal for communities in which access to medical specialists is limited. It allows specialists to connect with patients in the patient’s community, removing the patient’s need for extensive travel to the nearest accepting specialist’s office in another city. Since the patient receives telemedicine services in a medical office setting, which is required for coverage by most health plans, their appointment will be eligible for payment by most health insurance policies in the same manner as it would be if the patient was seen in-person by the specialist. Additionally, the primary care and specialty care providers perform as a team to ensure that effective care is managed across the healthcare continuum for best results. Every aspect of this model of telemedicine service delivery follows statutory and regulatory requirements for patient privacy and security.
- Inpatient model. TeleMed2U’s specialists are proud to work in hospitals ranging in size from smaller critical access hospitals to large health centers. Our work in hospitals allows us to deliver the highest levels of inpatient care. Through the successful application of telemedicine, our specialists provide patient consultations and work with hospitalists to manage specialty care needs of patients in many areas of the hospital, such as: through the emergency department, in the intensive care units, and on the medical floors. This care model exemplifies TeleMed2U's commitment to quality health care delivery.
What You May Expect
TeleMed2U has contractual relationships with primary care provider organizations and health plans to bring various medical specialties into primary care clinics over a vast geographic area through the use of telemedicine. As a patient, you may be physically distant from your specialist, though through the use of advanced audio-visual technology, that allows real-time, interactive communication, you will feel as though you are in the same room.
Here’s what you may expect when your primary care provider offers specialty care through TeleMed2U and refers you for a telemedicine specialty care visit. Clinic personnel will ask you to sign a consent form that confirms your agreement to see a specialist using telemedicine, and will set up your appointment with the specialist. You will return to the same clinic for your appointment and be directed to a room that is set up with the appropriate audio-visual technology to teleconference with the doctor. Clinic personnel will connect with our specialist through a secure, privacy-protected portal, and introduce you to your TeleMed2U specialist. The specialist will have reviewed your medical records in advance and will be prepared to speak about your condition, just as he or she would in a traditional medical office.
During the appointment, you will communicate with the TeleMed2U specialist just as you would if you were in the same room. If certain hands-on monitoring or evaluation is required, clinic personnel will be available in the room with you to perform the necessary tasks under the specialist’s instruction. The specialist may prescribe medications or follow-up exams, which the clinic personnel will help to coordinate with you. The specialist will also indicate whether another appointment will be needed, which will be scheduled in the same manner as the original. Following your appointment, the specialist will create a clinical record of the visit and make that available to your primary care provider. We and the clinic make every attempt to provide you with the same specialist throughout your TeleMed2U care regime.
Your specialist appointment will be billed to your health plan either by TeleMed2U or by the clinic, and you will receive an explanation of benefits, just as you normally would for any such appointment. Your patient responsibility for payment will follow the same guidelines in your health plan as are in place for traditional office visits.
If, at any time, you have questions or concerns about the process or results of your telemedicine visit, you are encouraged to communicate with the clinic personnel, who will communicate with TeleMed2U. You will be asked to complete a satisfaction survey at the end of each visit. We would like to ensure that your TeleMed2U experience is exemplary.
If, for any reason, you feel the need to report an incident of concern, you may do so using the following information:
Compliance Hotline: 916-746-2350
- Press 1: Compliance issues or concerns
- Press 2: Fraud, waste, or abuse issues or concerns
- Press 3: Patient grievances
Notice About Non-Discrimination
TeleMed2U complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. TeleMed2U does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.